ShareThis

Rev. Sun Myung Moon

As a Peace-loving Global Citizen is the autobiography of Rev. Sun Myung Moon, the founder of the Unification Movement. It was published in 2009 in both Korean and English by Gimm-Young Publishers of Seoul, South Korea. The book was released in South Korea on March 9, 2009 and debuted at #3 on the Businesss bestseller's list. It has ranked in various bestseller lists since then and was ranked 15th on the General bestseller's list as of October 14, 2009.

The Crazy, Handsome Man by the Well

   “Do you think I would have waited for you without knowing even that about you? You said you came here to witness to me. Please, then, teach me.”

       Hyun Shil Kang was clearly knowledgeable in theology. She quoted Bible texts to me one after another in an effort to attack my views. She continued to challenge me strongly as I kept busy responding to each of her challenges with answers in a strong and clear voice. Our debate continued so long that it began to grow dark, so I stood up and cooked dinner. The only thing we had besides rice was some over ripe kimchi. Nevertheless, we sat there with the sound of water trickling below and shared this food before resuming our debate. She came back the next day and the day after that, each time to continue our debate. In the end, she chose to devote her life to the principle I teach.

       Later that year, on a windy November day, my wife showed up at the door of the Beom-net-gol hut. There standing with her was a seven year- old boy, my son, who was born the year I left home. I had left that day simply to go pick up some rice but went to Pyongyang instead. The years had passed, and now he had grown into a young boy. I could not bring myself to look him in the eye, nor could I reach out to stroke his face and embrace him in joy. I just stood there like a stone statue, frozen in place, speechless.

       My wife did not have to say a word. I felt the pain and suffering this poor mother and child had to experience in the midst of war. Even before this visit, I knew where they were living and what their situation was, but I was not yet to the point where I could take care of my family. I knew this, and I had asked her several times, even before our marriage, “Please trust me and wait just a little longer.” When the time was right, I planned to go get them. But in this situation, as they stood in the door, the right time had not yet come. The hut, our church, was small and shabby. A number of members ate there and lived there with me to study God’s word. I could not bring my family there.

       My wife took a look around the hut, expressed great disappointment, and turned to leave. She and my son set off down the steep path.