ShareThis

Rev. Sun Myung Moon

As a Peace-loving Global Citizen is the autobiography of Rev. Sun Myung Moon, the founder of the Unification Movement. It was published in 2009 in both Korean and English by Gimm-Young Publishers of Seoul, South Korea. The book was released in South Korea on March 9, 2009 and debuted at #3 on the Businesss bestseller's list. It has ranked in various bestseller lists since then and was ranked 15th on the General bestseller's list as of October 14, 2009.

“Why Does My Father Have to Go to Jail?”

       I think that going to jail is not a completely bad thing. If I am to get people who are in the valley of tears to repent, then I must first shed tears. Unless I first experience such a wretched heart, I cannot get others to submit themselves to God. Heaven really works in mysterious ways. After I was imprisoned, seven thousand ministers and other religious leaders accused the U.S. government of violating religious freedom and began an effort to save me. Among them was the conservative Rev. Jerry Falwell of the Southern Baptist Convention and the liberal Dr. Joseph E. Lowery, who gave the benediction during the inauguration of President Obama. They stood at the forefront of the effort to save me. Also, my daughter In Jin, a young girl of 20, marched with them. She stood before some seven thousand clergy and read a letter that she had written to me in tears.

       “Hello, everyone. I am In Jin Moon, the second daughter of Rev. Sun Myung Moon. On July 20, 1984, it seemed that the end of the world came to our family. This was the day that my father entered Danbury prison. I never dreamed that such a thing would happen to my father—especially in America, a land of the free that my father has loved and served immensely. My father has worked hard since he came to America. I have almost never seen him sleep. He rises early in the morning to pray and work. I have never seen anyone work with greater dedication to the future of America or to God. Yet, America has placed my father in Danbury prison. Why does he have to go to Danbury? He is not concerned about his own suffering. My father’s life has been dotted with tears and suffering, as he sought to carry out God’s will. He is now 64 years old. His only crime was that he loved America. Yet, at this moment, he is either washing dishes in the prison cafeteria or mopping its floors. Last week, I visited my father and saw him for the first time in his prison uniform. I cried and cried. My father told me not to cry for him but to pray for America. He told me to take my anger and sorrow and transform these into a powerful force that will make this a truly free country. He said that while he was in prison he would endure any hardship, bear any injustice, and carry any cross. Freedom of religion is the basis of all freedoms. I am truly grateful to everyone here for supporting religious freedom.”

       My sentence was reduced by six months for good behavior, and I was released after serving thirteen months. The day I left prison, a banquet to celebrate my release was held in Washington, D.C. Seventeen hundred Christian ministers and Jewish rabbis were gathered and waiting for me. In my remarks to the gathering, I repeated my position in favor of transcending religions and denominations. I spoke in a loud voice to the world at large, feeling no need for concern for the reaction from those opposed to me.