ShareThis

Rev. Sun Myung Moon

As a Peace-loving Global Citizen is the autobiography of Rev. Sun Myung Moon, the founder of the Unification Movement. It was published in 2009 in both Korean and English by Gimm-Young Publishers of Seoul, South Korea. The book was released in South Korea on March 9, 2009 and debuted at #3 on the Businesss bestseller's list. It has ranked in various bestseller lists since then and was ranked 15th on the General bestseller's list as of October 14, 2009.

My Meeting with President Kim Il Sung

        I also talked about Mount Kumgang.

       “I went to Mount Kumgang, and it really is a beautiful mountain,” I said. “It needs to be developed as a tourism destination for our people.”

       “Mount Kumgang will be an asset to our unified homeland,” President Kim said. “So I have made sure that only certain people can touch it. If it’s developed in the wrong way, it could be ruined. You have an international eye, and I could trust someone like you to take it over and develop it for us.”

       President Kim went so far as to ask that we develop Mount Kumgang.

       “Mr. President,” I said, “you are older than me, so you are like my older brother.”

       He responded, “President Moon, from now, let’s refer to each other as older brother and younger brother,” and he grasped my hand tightly.

       President Kim and I held each other’s hand as we walked down the hallway and took commemorative photographs. Then I left the residence.

       After I had gone, I was told that President Kim told his son, Kim Jong Il, “President Moon is a great man. I have met many people in my life, but none were like him. He has a broad scale of thinking, and he overflows with heart. I felt close to him. It made me feel good to be with him, and I wanted him to stay for a long time. I want to meet him again. After I die, if there are things to discuss pertaining to North-South relations, you must always seek the advice of President Moon.”

       So it seemed that we had communicated very well.

       Soon after I ended my weeklong stay and left Pyongyang, Prime Minister Hyung Muk Yeon led a North Korean delegation to Seoul. Prime Minister Yon signed an agreement to denuclearize the Korean peninsula. On January 30 of the following year, North Korea signed a nuclear safeguards agreement with the International Atomic Energy Agency, thus fulfilling the commitments that President Kim had made to me. These were the results I accomplished by going to Pyongyang at the risk of my life.