ShareThis

Rev. Sun Myung Moon

As a Peace-loving Global Citizen is the autobiography of Rev. Sun Myung Moon, the founder of the Unification Movement. It was published in 2009 in both Korean and English by Gimm-Young Publishers of Seoul, South Korea. The book was released in South Korea on March 9, 2009 and debuted at #3 on the Businesss bestseller's list. It has ranked in various bestseller lists since then and was ranked 15th on the General bestseller's list as of October 14, 2009.

Everything We Have Is Borrowed from Heaven

       I wear a necktie only for worship services or special events. I don’t wear a suit often, either. I generally wear a sweater when I am at home. I sometimes imagine how much money is spent on neckties in Western societies. Necktie pins, dress shirts, and cuff links are very expensive. If everyone stopped buying neckties and used the money instead for the sake of our neighbors who suffer from hunger, the world would be a little bit better place to live. Expensive things are not necessarily the best to have. Imagine what it would be like if the building were on fire. Who would be the first to get out: Me in my sweater or some guy in a tie? I’m always ready to run outside.

       Some people might think I take conservation to extremes. I’m not in favor of taking a bath every day. Once every three days is enough. I also don’t wash my socks every day. In the evening, I take off my socks and put them in my back pocket so that I can wear them again the next day. When I am in a hotel, I use only the smallest of the towels that are hanging in the bathroom. I flush the toilet only after I have urinated in it three times. I use only a single square of toilet paper, after folding it in half three times. I don’t care if you call me uncivilized or barbaric for this. The same desire to conserve is true at mealtime. I have no interest in elaborate meals. There may be all sorts of exotic foods and different types of desserts in front of me, but I am not interested in those. I don’t fill my rice bowl completely. It’s enough if it is three-fifths full.

       The shoes I prefer most in Korea cost 49,000 won (about $40) at a large discount store. The pants I wear every day are well over five years old. The meal I enjoy the most in America is McDonald’s. Some people call it junk food and don’t eat it, but I like eating at McDonald’s for two reasons. It’s cheap, and it saves time. When I take the children out to eat, we often go to McDonald’s. I don’t know how it came to be known that I often go to McDonald’s, but now the chairman of the McDonald’s Corporation sends me a New Year’s greeting card every year.