ShareThis

Rev. Sun Myung Moon

As a Peace-loving Global Citizen is the autobiography of Rev. Sun Myung Moon, the founder of the Unification Movement. It was published in 2009 in both Korean and English by Gimm-Young Publishers of Seoul, South Korea. The book was released in South Korea on March 9, 2009 and debuted at #3 on the Businesss bestseller's list. It has ranked in various bestseller lists since then and was ranked 15th on the General bestseller's list as of October 14, 2009.

Cry Not for Me but for the World

       During the first year I was in America, money received as donations from around the world was placed in a bank account in New York in my name, held in trust for the church, a practice common in some denominations. The funds that were in this account for three years produced interest income, and I was indicted on the charge of not paying taxes on about $7,500. Normally a fine would be charged, but I was imprisoned in the federal correctional institution in Danbury, Connecticut, on July 20, 1984.

       On the day before reporting to the Danbury prison, I held my final gathering of members at the Belvedere training center in Tarrytown, New York. Members filled the property and shed tears as they prayed for me. Thousands of people who had followed me gathered at Belvedere that day. I raised my voice and told them not to lose heart.

       “I am innocent,” I said. “I have done nothing wrong.”

       “I can see the bright light of hope rising from beyond Danbury,” I told them. “Don’t cry for me, but cry for America. Love America, and pray for America.” 

       I stood before the young people immersed in sadness and held up my fists as a sign of hope.

       The statement I made prior to entering the prison caused a great stir among religious people. A “Common Suffering Fellowship” was initiated, and there was a wave of prayers to support me. The Common Suffering Fellowship was a groundswell of support of clergy from all denominations and from other religions concerned about the attack on religious freedom in America.

       On the day that I went to prison, I had nothing to fear. I know life in jail. This was not the case with the people around me, however. They were concerned that some people strongly opposed to me would do something to end my life. I headed to prison with my head held high.