ShareThis

Rev. Sun Myung Moon

As a Peace-loving Global Citizen is the autobiography of Rev. Sun Myung Moon, the founder of the Unification Movement. It was published in 2009 in both Korean and English by Gimm-Young Publishers of Seoul, South Korea. The book was released in South Korea on March 9, 2009 and debuted at #3 on the Businesss bestseller's list. It has ranked in various bestseller lists since then and was ranked 15th on the General bestseller's list as of October 14, 2009.

Loving Nature to Learn from It


       The insects in that area were also my friends. Every year, in late summer, a clear-toned cicada would sing in the upper branches of a persimmon tree that was right outside my room. Each summer, I would be grateful when the loud, irritating sounds of the other types of cicada that made noise all summer would suddenly stop and be replaced by the song of the clear-toned cicada. Its song let me know that the humid summer season would soon pass, with the cool autumn to follow. Their sound went something like this: “Sulu Sulululululu!”

       Whenever I would hear the clear-toned cicada sing like this, I would look up into the persimmon tree and think, “Of course, as long as it’s going to sing, it has to sing from a high place so that everyone in the village can hear it and be glad. Who could hear it if it went into a pit and sang?”

       I soon realized that both the summer cicadas and the clear-toned cicadas were making sounds for love.

       Whether they were singing, “Mem mem mem” or “Suluk sulu,” they were making sounds in order to attract their mates. Once I realized this, I couldn’t help but laugh every time I heard an insect start singing.

       “Oh, you want love, don’t you? Go ahead and sing, and find yourself a good mate.”

       Gradually I learned how to be friends with everything in nature in a way that we could share our hearts with each other.